Tuesday 18 August 2015

A Sccessful Space

I am learning and designing my daycare space this week.

On top of making sure a space is safe for children, I am learning that a poorly arranged physical space can trigger emotional reactions in kids. A space that is too busy or has no quiet area can trigger more aggressive behaviours.

A quiet area is defined as a small enclosed space for no more than one or two children yet still visible by supervisors where a child may go to have alone time and get away from the busyness of the other children playing. Like adults children too need some time to relax throughout the day. Below are some images I liked to help define a quiet area.

I am also very passionate about having a designated sleep room with each child having there very own crib. It is something that our current daycare for our son has and it is brilliant! Each child has there own full size wooden crib, they know it, they have their favourite stuffed animal or blanket in there and it has their name on it. My husband and I love it and I think the children all nap better because of it. It is a must when I open Little Treasures. Please see some images below.


I also read today about levels. Kids are on a whole different level then us adults. Play material and visuals must be at their eye level. This should include pictures of their families, art that they have done, as well as books and toys.

I am very excited to be learning about how to design a space for children to promote imagination and creativity, that is warm and inviting! I hope to get a floor plan done by the end of August to show you all and I will also be reading about outdoor space this weekend!



2 comments: